Image Map

Monday, September 28, 2015

Mommy Monday: preschooler pumpkin craft

Well, it's that time of year, folks: pumpkin season!! People seem to have a very strong opinion on the topic of pumpkins, one way or another. I never realized this was such a touchy subject for people- I honestly don't really have strong feelings one way or the other in regards to pumpkins, or any other gourds or vegetables for that matter. But I did enjoy this fun pumpkin craft with my 3-year-old girls recently that I wanted to share with you! :)


There are tons of amazing jack-o-lantern and other pumpkin crafts you can make with kids if you have the time and resources to put them together. I have neither at the moment (it's the end of September, guys, come on), so this craft activity fit the bill!

We were at a farm stand recently and saw some of these cute little pumpkins, so we picked up one for each of us. Everything else we had on hand: some paint, brushes, tacky (craft) glue, and googly eyes (I believe that is the technical term).

I set the girls loose on their pumpkins with the paint, and it was interesting to see what they did! One painted hers purple, then added green on top of that, then added orange on top of that. So hers hardly looks painted at all (but, I must admit, it is probably the coolest looking one of the bunch!). The other added a splotch of every color paint she could find, including some bright white paint for the stem. We let the paint dry overnight, then took a couple of googly eyes and stuck them on the pumpkins with the craft glue and voila!

One of my girls is concerned that the pumpkins have no mouths, so we may go back and add something later, but I think they're pretty cute just the way they are! We may get around to some actual jack-o-lantern type things eventually, but for now I'm happy to have checked some pumpkin off the list with a fun, low-stress, low-cost craft!

What are your favorite ways to decorate pumpkins with your kids? Share your ideas below- October is coming up fast!

4 comments :

  1. I must know, what makes the topic of pumpkins touchy? Lol, I learn something new every day! I love the googly eyes, very cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I don't know what the deal is but people seem to either be in the "I love pumpkin yippee!" camp, or the "why do people insist on putting pumpkin in everything, I'm so sick of pumpkins, bah humbug!" camp. It's very strange and funny to me but it's true ;)

      Delete
  2. I had no idea pumpkins were a touchy subject! Your girls did a great job. I look forward to painting pumpkins with my toddler too. Thanks for sharing #TwinklyTuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't either, until the impassioned facebook posts and passing comments in conversations started creeping up- people seem to either be head-over-heels in love with pumpkin or so sick of them they get mad at the mere mention of the word! :) I hope you have fun painting with your toddler! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete